Monday, March 23, 2015

DIY learning activities

Hello again!
Recently my husband and I decided that we would jump start Sirah's education a little. Her birthday falls at a time that if she were going to traditional school, she would have to wait an extra year to start. My husband and his siblings were home-schooled. After lots of consideration and prayer we have decided that our children will be as well. Sirah has always been a little ahead of the game as far as development goes, so I am capitalizing on that a little. I have decided to go ahead and start having "school time" as often as she wants to have it. I think that if we instill a love of learning early, it will always be there.
Now that I have rambled, on to the fun stuff! I managed to score a pretty decent starter set of educational books and workbooks from Walmart, The Dollar Tree, and Target. I wanted to have something else that we could do that would be fun too. Sirah loves these little flashcard sets I picked up at The Dollar Tree.
We might go back to these once she gets a more firm grasp on her letters and shapes. However, the pictures on the cards are proving to be more distracting than anything for her right now. So, I did what anyone would do. I went to Pinterest and I heated up the Scotch Laminator. I found worksheets for colors, shapes, letters and numbers. I just printed everything out and laminated them. I cut everything down and boom! Flashcards.


I also decided to make a matching game. I printed two more pages of the shapes. First, I took one set of shapes and cut them all out and glued them onto a piece of paper. Then, I ran it through the laminator. Next, I laminated the other set. Once those were laminated, I cut out the shapes and put velcro on all of them. It turned out to be a very simple project. She hasn't had a chance to play with it yet, but I know she'll love it.

If anyone has any other suggestions for DIY learning activities, I would love to hear them.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment